Got a killer deal on an XP 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to upgrade the XP1 on my 30g to an XP3 (Mainly for the extra media), so I printed off Petsmart's web pricing and took it into my local store.

The web priced the XP3 unit at 104.99. The shelf said something like 179.99.

Needless to say, the manager was not thrilled about marking down a unit that much, but he had to.

And, the computer randomly generated a 25 dollar gift card for my order, so I basically got it for 80 bucks :)

Nice thing about upgrading in the same filter line is, the quick disconnect fit like a charm.

I had a similar experience with an AC110 filter. Web price, 39.99, store price, 79.99. They were not thrilled about it either, but she did the adjustment with a smile.

Great pickup! :)

Are you telling me I can pick up in store items for the web price? I was looking to get an XP3, but I was going to get it at Amazon/PetSmart.

Absolutely. Just print the page from the website, bring it in store, and you'll get the web price.

No questions asked (the 2 times ive done it :))

Yup :) Its Petsmart policy that they HAVE to price match their website. The manager tried to find something on the page for like 5 minutes to get out of it, but he did it :)

I feel sorry for the people that do not hunt the web before major purchases.

Wow! great advice everyone needs to hear. So you get the web price and dont have to pay the shipping!

garth7 said:
Wow! great advice everyone needs to hear. So you get the web price and dont have to pay the shipping!

Mine charges the shipping as well, so not every store is the same...but it's still a better deal than the shelf price!

I got my second XP3 from Petsmart for ~$80 (before they hiked their prices on the web). My local Petsmart has matched their web prices on many occasions. I've never been charged shipping. But I think it would still be cheaper :)

I picked up the XP3 the same way. Just as a tip, the PetSmart website runs some AJAX. Simply put, if you don't select from the dropdown menu on certain options, the shipping cost doesn't appear on the website. This only works on certain options that aren't necessary. Color differences for tanks or stands, for instance, is something that you can do this with, but on the XP3 you have to select the XP3 to get a price. It might let the manager slip on the fact of shipping.

I've never had them try to charge me shipping before, and I've done it multiple times.

Last time I went in I was purchasing another 10g setup, so I got a filter, heater, powerhead, and the actual tank. I gave the cashier the printouts, he rang up my stuff and told me "that will be $110". Apparently he had no idea why I had given him the printouts.

Needless to say, the total bill was $65 after the price match. That's the only way that I buy equipment now. If I can't find it at Petsmart I order from drsfostersmith.com or visit a LFS if it is something small (where shipping+the item would be more than the added cost of getting it at the LFS).

Always price match!

you cant always get web price, petsmart charged me for shipping for my python, which was $8 more, but still i saved some cash

Got mine the same way.104 vs 180 or so.

Big time savings....without the shipping or the wait.

Great filter too.

Thats a lot of filter for 30g.
Why do you want the extra media?
Is the xp1 not filtering well enough?

I would get an xP2 when I get the 30 gallon setup.
The xP2 has two media boxes, instead of one on the xP1

They are some awsome prices...... the best deal i got was the FLUVAL FX5 for $240... they retail at some places for 500+

My girlfriend is a district manager for petsmart, I believe that your managers are wrong in down prices to there website. If I am not wrong the policy is that website has to be always less expensive than in store and if you want those prices you need to shop from home not walk in. but then again a policy is only a writen document that a private party or individual makes to cover some of there rules but alot of them do not comply with constitutional rights, federal and state laws.

Petsmart has always price matched for me without a problem. Done it multiple times too. Still haven't been charged for shipping but I also haven't bought a large item. Mainly HOB filters and heaters.

You should hear some of the stories about what they are forced to do. Like giving a full refund after a lady returned TWO cups of dog food out of a 50lb bag. She said her dogs didn't like it. Manager gave her a complete refund.....

Back
Top Bottom