Got an Otto...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up an otto a couple of days ago. I'm nervous because I read they are very sensitive, so I'm watching him very closely. One concern that I had read about was that they are essentially starving at the LFS, and if they starve long enough either in transport to the store, or at the store, the good bacteria in their gut die out and they are unable to digest their food. He's been eating ok so far (his belly is full of dark green goodness now)...one thing I noticed as that he was pooping when I got him home - is it safe to assume that he was pretty well fed if he was pooing freely?
Also, to ottos have any other special needs aside from standard care? I know that if he runs out of algae (not in my tank!), I should give him zucchini or algae pellets. I wasn't able to find tons of info online, so I need to rely on your expertise.

I've had mine for a week now and they're doing well. I had some algae in the tank but not too much, and I haven't put any veggies in for them either. I also really like my LFS and have never picked up remotely bad stock from there, so that may have something to do with it. I was nervous about mine too, but I'm not anymore. Be careful for a few days, and then you'll be ok. :)

-j

Excellent research on your part sciencegirl. :D The only thing I would add is that they do better in groups. If you have the tank capacity, get your Oto 2 friends.

Thanks BrianNY :) !
I've got only a 10 gallon tank, with 6 neon tetras and the one little otto. Would it be too full if I get another otto? The neons are really "into" him - checking him out and eating his poo :? . Crazy guys.

You could add two more without a problem. Have fun :D

I agree with BrianNY, oto's are great little fish. You could have 3 in that tank because they stay so small. I have never seen one larger than 1-1/2 inches. I think they max out pretty close to that.

I love the ones I have in my tank. They do a wonderful job on keeping my algae under control and are barely more than 1" each! Powerful algae punch with a small bioload.

Paul

Things are looking good so far - thanks for the link, Chris. I think that I'm going to get 2 more little fellas, assuming that my water parameters test ok tonight.

Back
Top Bottom