Got Driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never purchased it, but you can see the same product in chain stores like PetSmart. For that price, I'd rather just take a walk and pick up a nice piece. That way you have more control over what you're getting. I've also heard mopani wood can be poisonous to shrimp, if that matters to you.

I say find a state park in your area and go pick up a piece of fallen wood that looks nice. Boil it, soak it and throw it in the tank.

When it comes to something that is going to potentially be the focal point of the tank, I wouldn't want to risk getting something that you had never actually seen from Big Al's or Dr. FS.

I would check out aquabid or Ted's Fishroom. Just be sure to factor in shipping when you are pricing things out, shipping something dense like driftwood is not always cheap.
http://www.tedsfishroom.com/wp/driftwood

When it comes to something that is going to potentially be the focal point of the tank, I wouldn't want to risk getting something that you had never actually seen from Big Al's or Dr. FS.

I would check out aquabid or Ted's Fishroom. Just be sure to factor in shipping when you are pricing things out, shipping something dense like driftwood is not always cheap.

I like that Ted's Fishroom! Thanks for your help...

Forums are awesome!!!

When it comes to something that is going to potentially be the focal point of the tank, I wouldn't want to risk getting something that you had never actually seen from Big Al's or Dr. FS...

That was my first though too. Basically, setting up a fish tank is actually a personal work of art. Why would you want to base your "master piece" on a random piece of wood sight-unseen?

Ok.... I was going to buy a big chunk of wood from Ted but now his site says no more driftwod... So I went to a local fish shop and checked out there driftwood. All they had was Mopani, so I asked him if it will harm the inhabitants of my aquarium, and he said as long as I soak it till it sinks it will be fine. I took his word for it and soaked it till it sunk, and it has been in the tank almost a week now with no signs of stress. My shrimp really loves it... I don't think it's taken its foot off it since the wood has been in there... The only problem that I see is that I need to get another piece for the other side of the tank... My silver dollars and tetras never venture off to the right side with rocks and plants... They too love the driftwood :)

Back
Top Bottom