Got free fish, know nothing about them..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so I was at my not so favorite lfs. In a tank in the corner I spotted these cute little fish darting around the tank. After watching them a while an employee came up and asked if I wanted them (I assumed he meant buy them) after telling him I have no clue what they are, he proceeded with "exactly, we don't either, that's why you can just have them." So I couldn't pass up getting these guys for FREE.

So once I got home I took my guppies from my 5 and put them in my 20, since I don't know what they are I wanted them all alone.

So I'm hoping one of y'all can tell me what they are, and anything you know about them.

Thanks!

ForumRunner_20111123_214950.jpg

ForumRunner_20111123_215112.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111123_215044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111123_215044.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 178
I believe they are Bumblebee Gobies and are brackish. If I am wrong someone please correct me. :)

Those look like bumble bee gobies. They are very peaceful, and like to be kept in schools of at least 6. This is a brackish fish, but they can live in freshwater.... Even though it isnt reccomended. I think it is very irisponsible for your lfs to recieve a fish and not know how to treat it, or keep it alive, so an answer to all o their problems was to just give it away.

Ahhh, great.. Brackish. They were in freshwater, that's all the store has is freshwater. I assumed they were at least a freshwater fish.. :/

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Those look like bumble bee gobies. They are very peaceful, and like to be kept in schools of at least 6. This is a brackish fish, but they can live in freshwater.... Even though it isnt reccomended. I think it is very irisponsible for your lfs to recieve a fish and not know how to treat it, or keep it alive, so an answer to all o their problems was to just give it away.

I agree completely, which is another reason why I didn't hesitate taking them.

Wow!!! How are they doing anyway. I've been wanting bumble bee gobies forever, and am going to convert a tank to brackish for them. I can't believe you got some for free!

mfdrookie516 said:
There are brackish species and fw species... which ones are which is beyond me. I'd agree with the ID though.

I did a little google-ing and found that out too, I can only assume a fw store would only be looking at fw fish..? If they weren't wouldn't that have not made it in fw?

Sisserydoo said:
Wow!!! How are they doing anyway. I've been wanting bumble bee gobies forever, and am going to convert a tank to brackish for them. I can't believe you got some for free!

Well for the 5 hours I've had them, they've done fine. Haha

Depending on how hard brackish is (know nothing about it), I might do it.. I love these guys already!!!

They can live in fresh water for a while, but with time they will grow weak and die.

You said it your self your LFS didn't know what they were that's why they put them in a FW tank.

Sharkbait54 said:
They can live in fresh water for a while, but with time they will grow weak and die.

You said it your self your LFS didn't know what they were that's why they put them in a FW tank.

I still find it hard to believe a fw only store would order brackish fish..

I wonder how you can tell if its the one that's fw or the one that's bw.

I know that the farm we got ours from listed them as fw, so they were likely kept in fw there as well. Ill email the for clarification.

@ nu nu : they don't need groups of 6, they don't school or even shoal tightly, similar behavior to other gobies I've kept. Please double check your research before advising, being accurate is important because it gives weight to your words.

Last edited:
Ok it seems all bumble bee gobies are BW but Brachygobius xanthozona can live in FW also maybe that's what u have.

Sharkbait54 said:
They ordered fish they know nothing about I'm confused....

Okay, so I know the person who runs the show wasn't there. I'm sure they know, but the person there (who I've never seen before), the person I dealt with was a ding-dong.

Well I did a little research and it looks like I'm wrong. The gobies with full unbroken stripes are Brachygobius xanthozona and can adapt and live in FW no problem. But they are territorial and somewhat aggressive. Good "buy" lol.

Sharkbait54 said:
Well I did a little research and it looks like I'm wrong. The gobies with full unbroken stripes are Brachygobius xanthozona and can adapt and live in FW no problem. But they are territorial and somewhat aggressive. Good "buy" lol.

Hmmm, could you link the article? So I can see exactly what full and unbroken means?

Okay, I got since pictures, there not great but you can still see.

On both theres one small little black in the yellow, I'm not positive how precise they mean about the lines, I'd say there pretty good. But Im not really one to say..

Here y'all go:

ForumRunner_20111123_225825.jpg

ForumRunner_20111123_225608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom