Got loaches ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BK Buttikoferi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help ! My Cichlids keep eatingy cory cats . No matter how big they are. I need suggestions on loaches...... Dont worry, I'll wait...

What do you mean, keep eating them !!! Cories do not belong with aggressive fish. Loaches either.

The fish has to be able to defend itself.

Stop adding fish without learning more about them please !!!

And adding fish too many, too fast can cause a mini cycle.

Some of your fish may need a 75g or more to themselves.

Monster Fishkeepers is a good resource for aggressive Cichlid education besides people on this site.

I have clown loaches, and dojo loaches with firemouths and a jack dempsey.

Yes, some loaches can go with cichlids, but since you have told us what type you have, we really can't give you the best advice.

I don't think loaches would be your best bet... I put two full grown dojo loaches with my cichlids and took them out immediately because of there aggressive behavior towards them. Depending on how big your tank is maybe get a large catfish? I got an iridescent shark an they leave him alone (wouldn't suggest getting one due to the size they grow) but possibly something like that??

I don't think loaches would be your best bet... I put two full grown dojo loaches with my cichlids and took them out immediately because of there aggressive behavior towards them. Depending on how big your tank is maybe get a large catfish? I got an iridescent shark an they leave him alone (wouldn't suggest getting one due to the size they grow) but possibly something like that??

Its a 75 long and im uograding in six months to a 180. They are all under 5" except for my shark. I like the tiger shovelnose. What do you think ?

Its a 75 long and im uograding in six months to a 180. They are all under 5" except for my shark. I like the tiger shovelnose. What do you think ?

Omg I have wanted a shovelnose catfish for so long now! But I've heard some mixed opinions on these guys. Again another catfish that gets big. And I've also heard (don't hold me to this) but they will eat anything that fits into there mouth. And there also jumpers so if you do get one I'd suggest possibly holding down your lid with maybe a few rocks when it gets bigger. If I were you I'd wait until you get your 180 to purchase one of these guys. But ultimately it's your decision.

Omg I have wanted a shovelnose catfish for so long now! But I've heard some mixed opinions on these guys. Again another catfish that gets big. And I've also heard (don't hold me to this) but they will eat anything that fits into there mouth. And there also jumpers so if you do get one I'd suggest possibly holding down your lid with maybe a few rocks when it gets bigger. If I were you I'd wait until you get your 180 to purchase one of these guys. But ultimately it's your decision.

Shovelnose are jumper and will eat anything that fits in it's mouth, just like most catfish.

it depends on the fish's temperament, and of course the species. My 4 dojos are enjoying sharing the tank with my jack and firemouths. The only harassing going on is the loaches chasing the cichlids for krill.

I have a tank of 8" aggressive malawi cichlids and 2 blueberry botia loaches. They all get along fine and have for the last few years. I agree it depends on the temperment of the fish but overall I do very well with my setup. My loaches have grown up with the cichlids so that may be why they get along so well. My loaches are probably about 6 inches now so they can fend for themselves I guess if it ever came to that. lol

it depends on the fish's temperament, and of course the species. My 4 dojos are enjoying sharing the tank with my jack and firemouths. The only harassing going on is the loaches chasing the cichlids for krill.

Yeah mine were with a red devil and oscar, didn't go over well. But I'm glad yours are doing well. Wish mine would mix with my cichlids

Shovelnose are jumper and will eat anything that fits in it's mouth, just like most catfish.

Im looking for something with energy for the bottom level of the tank. The middle has all the activity. Even fire eel barely comes from under the gravel. Its like he lives under there. Im nervous about catfish because can fit almost any other fish in their mouths. I want to eventually get a needlenose gar for the top layer. That wont happen till i upgrade tho. Maybe a striped raphael. Can you give me your thoughts on that. ?

Exactly which is why I haven't gotten one and I was reading alittle more up on them and found this on a site. "When frightened, these fish have been known to break 1/4" aquarium glass; larger tanks with 1/2" glass should be ok."

Exactly which is why I haven't gotten one and I was reading alittle more up on them and found this on a site. "When frightened, these fish have been known to break 1/4" aquarium glass; larger tanks with 1/2" glass should be ok."

Any info on blue channel cats. They have alot of energy. Im going research some more.

striped raphael may be your best bet. Just did alittle look up on them and there a tougher catfish. But according to the info online they mostly come out at night. So not sure if that would work for you.

And by tougher I meant out of the ones you've mentioned without growing to a ridiculous size. (7") ... They have quite a bit to protect them from predators.

Back
Top Bottom