Got my first Pleco today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am so excited!!!

It took forever to find one in a local LFS. What I wanted was a little guy that would stay little because I don't have the space for a 10-15in fish.

I happened to drive out of my normal area to pick up a MiniBow 7gal that I found cheap on Craigslist. I met the guy in a shopping center that happened to have a LFS. I went in and looked through all the tanks (as usual) and didn't see anything. As I was looking at the last tank, there they were!

I wasn't 100% sure, but I grabbed him anyway, I hopes that he was what I've been looking for. Sure enough I found what I wanted.....a Clown (aka Ringlet) Pleco.

He's about 2" long and cute as can be! As soon as he's comfortable in my 30 gal community tank, maybe he'll pose for a pic or two. Now, I'm tempted to go back and get another one, now that I know what it is. My 30 gal has 3 pieces of driftwood and enough hiding spots to hold two of them.

Link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/panaque/734_F.PHP

A few pics...

He was hiding beneath one of the anubias so I tried to lure him out with some algae wafer pieces. Of course, this attracted every algae eater in the tank, including my nosy Bolivian Ram.

I did manage to catch him looking right at me with somewhat of an attitude. Maybe he's mad at me for inviting a welcomig committee...

Great pics! Wish I could get my friends to sit still long enough for my friend's digital.
I'd have to agree with you though, plecos seem to be hard to find. Whenever I do find them they don't appear to be in the best of shape.

My plecos are the opposite. Anytime I bring the camera out, they are all front and center. Could be that the tank is so fully planted and so much hiding places that they feel so secure, they feel free to roam wherever they want, and not afraid of movement outside the tank. In fact, they seem to enjoy being watched. Especially Felix. :)

Just wait until he settles in and his colors come in.

When first added to the tank (And in the morning when I turn the light on), my clown turned the whitish brown yours seems to be. But man, when they feel comfortable, his browns become soooo much darker with the whitish brown stripes between, it looks awesome!

Thanks all...when i took thos epics, he had been in the tank all of 15 mins. He was still showing his stress colors. I did get to see him all clored up before I bought him. They are beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom