Got my loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAGlocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I went today and bought my loaches...all 10 of them. I got 9 clown loaches and found one decent size dojo. Getting them set up in the QT tank today, hopefully a month or so I can drop em in the tanks and have more fish than I know what to do with.

i would love to get some more clown loaches, but i've read conflicting info about how large they grow. some sources say they can grow up to 14", but others say they average around 6". which is it??

Well from everything I have heard and read on them they get large, at least 10 inches. Great site on loaches if you want it http://www.loaches.com/
Loaches Online that is where I researched most of my loach info. Didnt trust the petsmart, and the lfs didnt have dojo loaches.

You are going to like the Dojo, these fish have pesonality. If you end up with some extra room :wink: consider a Golden Dojo. Not too easy to find but even more fun to watch! The Dojos's have a rep for jumping so keep the lid on. My Golden actually climbed into the guppy breeder net. I never would have believed it if I had not watched it.

BTW you will NEVER have snail problem again.
Jay

They get pretty big. I've seen some that have been 14" plus!!! They have a huge one in one of my LFS with an Arrowanna and the clown is half the size of the full grown Arrowanna!!!

Lid? Lid?? What lid?????? Lol just joking. Yeah you should have seen the dojo when the girl was getting it out of the tank, it jumped out of that tank into the one next to it. Freaked her out big time.

"Once they are established, Clown Loaches live for several years in an aquarium, where they grow slowly, but seldom reach the size recorded for wild specimens (About one foot). They have not been bred in captivity; probably because they do not reach full sexual maturity"

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_macracanthus.html

so does that mean they seldom reach 12" in size? i couldn't imagine having three foot long fish in the new tank... 8O

Back
Top Bottom