Got the 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got the 55 gallon tank today, bought it from some guy about 45 mins away for 120 bucks, came with the stand. The only thing is it came with a 12 inch bottom sucker, he looks too big for the tank but he said he had him in a 30 gal he stayed 6 inches for ever then he threw him in the 55 and he grew that big in a couple of months, the only thing i need to know is, i dont really know what he is but i was wondering if any suckers really have a problem getting along with something like a bala.
thanks
mitch

There are some bottom dwellers that can be bullies, but I would think a bala moves fast enough to avoid any aggression.

Balas get too big for a 55g...they get like 14 inches and are very active, so you are looking at atleast a 125g tank for their permanent home. If you plan to upgrade in a year or so, then a few balas would be alright.

Its probably a common pleco. He shouldn't bother anyone.

Yep justonemore, you hit it on the head, i have 1 more year of nursing school and want to keep my bala and get him a friend or two until i can get out and get that bigger tank. I'm gonna do some searches on the internet and see if i can find a picture that closely resembles him
thanks
mitch

Attachments

• 100_15811_169.jpg
    100_15811_169.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_15811_169.jpg
    100_15811_169.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
This maybe a little off topic but is it true that pelcos only get as big as the tank? I've got a 10 gal and it seems my pelco is a little big for it.

It is a myth that fish only grow as big as their tank. What can happen is their growth get stunted which causes many problems including a painful and early death.

I agree with the fish ID, nice common pleco. He and the bala(s) would be fine in a nice large tank.

A member recently posted some intriguing information regarding the fish and tank size myth. Mike has it nailed, the fish will "adapt" themselves to the tank size, which includes curvature of their spine and other deformaties.

Back
Top Bottom