Gourami- aggressive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbrumley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon tank that is currently stocked with 6 gourami. Filtration is not an issue, filtration unit is large enough for 100 gallon tank fully stocked. My question is what types of fish can also live peacefully with Gourami?

I have two red tail sharks with my two kissing gouramis. They have no issues at all. Peaceful semi aggressive tank.

RTS = redtail shark.

Alright. Are these young fish? The reason I ask is because young fish will get on fantastically until they reach sexual maturity. Then it's very hit and miss. If they are young then I would wait until they are grown and assess how they all get along before adding any schooling fish to the mix. At the moment I would suggest some bottom dwellers. Most other fish ignore them completely. There are cories or smaller types loaches. There are also fish such as bristlenose plecos and otos (otos require a mature tank of 6 months +).

All of the gourami are 2.5"-3". So yes juvenile I would assume. I also just started a 150 gallon that I am waiting to cycle. Do you know of a website that provides a complete list of freshwater fish and suitable tank mates? Unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

There is no such site as far as I know. What I can suggest is deciding what type of tank you wish to have. Community, biotype, African cichlid, planted, peaceful, aggressive, etc. then you can narrow down on types of fish. I like to suggest looking at your LFS and noting what fish you like them researching from there.

Back
Top Bottom