Gourami and GBR Tankmates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone. I currently have 8 gouramis and 3 bristle nose plecos in a 65 gal tank. Would anybody recommend adding German Blue Rams in with them.

I am currently running two HOB bio-wheel filters that give me 600 gph and I know most habitats for the GBR are slow moving. Water temp runs between 76-79.

If so how many? If not would any of the dwarf cichlids go well with my Gouramis? Or would I be better off getting a 36g bowfront to start with dwarf cichlids (apistos) (South American) or transfer the gouramis into?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've also read that higher temperatures can increase gourami aggression because it encourages mating behavior.

I have 2 females that are already a pain in the rear for the rest of them. They mainly chase each other around!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had GBR's with dwarf gouramis and honey gouramis at different times. Your GBR's need water temperatures between 80-82, but no less than 80. The GBR's get extremely aggressive when mating, and the gouramis will fight back so that will cause issues. I have to separate the GBR with the dwarf gourami when they would spawn has they both would fight. The honey gourami was extremely peaceful and would get beat up on.

Just be careful, because it stressed me out to watch them fight. When the GBR's did not mate usually everything was okay however.

I have had GBR's with dwarf gouramis and honey gouramis at different times. Your GBR's need water temperatures between 80-82, but no less than 80. The GBR's get extremely aggressive when mating, and the gouramis will fight back so that will cause issues. I have to separate the GBR with the dwarf gourami when they would spawn has they both would fight. The honey gourami was extremely peaceful and would get beat up on.

Just be careful, because it stressed me out to watch them fight. When the GBR's did not mate usually everything was okay however.

Thank you for your input. The wife and I have decided to get a 125 g tank to separate our living room from our dining room. We are going to go a different route and make it an African cichlid tank (Mbuna)(Lake Malawi) is what we are looking at. So many to choose from! Haha. Anybody have any favorites to consider?

It will be a long process but will post along the way.

Back
Top Bottom