Gourami Blowing Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today while I was watching my Gouramis swim around, the larger of the two went up to get some air. Once he was at the surface he blew bubbles! The bubbles actually broke through the surface of the water and splashed the hood. He did this a few times in a row and then went about swimming again.

Is this normal with Gouramis? Does it mean anything? I know that they are bubble-nest breeders, but since I only have two males I don't see how this could be a sign of breeding.

On a side note, the Gourami that was blowing the bubbles is the shy guy who's normally in hiding. Today was the first day that he was out swimming around every time I checked on them. It's really nice to see that he's finally settling in (it's been 8 days since I purchased the pair).

- Mandy

Well this is a good sign! Not only do gouramis build bubble nests when they breed, but when they are happy and healthy/content. Since he came out of hiding the same day he started his bubble nest I would say that he comfortable and adjusted to his new surroundings. :D

mine occasionly does that, but since i have surface agitation the bubbles dom't stay

Thanks! That's very nice to hear! I was afraid that someone would respond saying he's ill or not getting enough of something. :( It's very nice to hear it's a sign of happiness and good health! :D

- Mandy

I agree with you gourami, i'm always happy to hear that my fish/animals are happy and healthy too! 8)

Back
Top Bottom