Gourami chasing platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9ujy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 5 gallon with one gourami one platy an oto and a kahuli loach.i never see the loach the oto just sucks all day and the gourami chases the platy occasionally.pretty boring can I add another platy for my loner.petsmart lady said nay but idk he needs a comrade

No no no no, that tank is already overstocked as is. Stop listening to the Petsmart lady, and rehome that platy, it's going to get way too big for that tank, plus if your gourami is already aggressive I wouldn't think about adding another gourami, that will only lead to more aggression.
You khuli needs a school and so does your oto...and they need a bigger tank...

A couple platies would be alright in a 5 gallon tank if you move the gourami out. If you grab a couple more otos, they will be happy...and honestly should be fine in a 5 gallon tank. I honestly don't think kuhli loaches really care that much about being with others or on their own.

9ujy said:
Have a 5 gallon with one gourami one platy an oto and a kahuli loach.i never see the loach the oto just sucks all day and the gourami chases the platy occasionally.pretty boring can I add another platy for my loner.petsmart lady said nay but idk he needs a comrade

Rehome every 1 and get a Betta.....

Rehome every 1 and get a Betta.....

This. Hardcore. I have a 5 gallon tank with just a betta, a snail, and some ghost shrimp. You and everyone else in the tank will thank you.

Khuli loaches get to be about four inches and need about a 20 gallon tank for them to be happy. They prefer to be in groups.

The platys' get to be about three inches and to be really happy, you need to have a school of them. At least three, but more is better. A school of platys would not do well in only a five gallon tank.

Gouramis are in the same family as betta fish, so they tend to be pretty aggressive towards other fish of their own species, and if they are too cramped for space, they will fight other fish as well.

Could I get a picture of your 5 gallon?

Back
Top Bottom