gourami compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to order 4 of these to go in my 55 gallon. I had read that you don't want to keep more than 1 male because they will fight and that you don't want to have 4 of the same type of gourami because they will gang up on the other fish. I was hoping someone with experience in keeping gouramis could let me know if this is true. It just seems strange to me that all the stores I see carry only the male gouramis if this is the case. Now I'm finding sites that say the gouramis could be kept in groups of 4 of the same species but doesn't say anything about keeping males together.

What species of gourami? It is a pretty large and diverse group.

Well, I wasn't really sure. I was originally planning on a male and female pearl gourami with a couple other females, like maybe a banded and gold, thrown in. I really like the pearl gouramis so if I can keep 4 of those together that would be just fine. My question then would be would it be safe to keep 2 males and 2 females together?

I'm currently housing a gourami species tank than contains blue, golds, pearls, platinum and moonlight's with no aggression issues at all. I tend to overstock the gourami tank like a mbuna cichlid set up with a 3 female to 1 male ratio to reduce aggression. The tank has been running for years like this for years.

Well, I wasn't really sure. I was originally planning on a male and female pearl gourami with a couple other females, like maybe a banded and gold, thrown in. I really like the pearl gouramis so if I can keep 4 of those together that would be just fine. My question then would be would it be safe to keep 2 males and 2 females together?

3:1 would probably be better, but I think 2:2 will be fine in a 55.

Back
Top Bottom