Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gourami feeding problem

Hi

I have 2 dwarf gourami's that are struggling to get food because of the quicker smaller fish. They are also a little timid. How can I ensure they get food?

When I first got them I put a quarter of a wafer in so it would sink to the bottom. They would pick at this and seemed to enjoy it. Problem is, I think they may have gotten used to this a bit to much now and the other fish have also sniffed out the wafers and are at risk of being over-fed having already eaten from the top.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long have you had the gourami? It took about 3 weeks for my dwarf to learn what feeding time meant, and then he would eat from the top right along with my danios and tetras. I put in sinking wafers for my Cory cats, and I never knew my gourami to eat them, but every fish is different.

~ keeping is a family affair!
Danicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well it's not just my gourami's that eat the wafers it's all my fish. The neons and the swordtails. I got frightened the other day when my male sword looked like it was pregnant it had eaten that much so wafers are no longer an option. The only bottom feeders I have are 2 assassin snails but those are happy eating pest snails. I guess I have only had them a few weeks and they are getting less timid. Hopefully they will eat.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com