Gourami mixing questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommccoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've read that gouramis will pick on eachother, especially males, some have said that making it a threesome can help -opinions? What about more than 3? I only have a 16 gal so I don't want that many, was just curious.

Are gouramis like cichlids where if you keep singles of different kinds they are more peaceful/solitary (not recognizing them as competition)?

I got an opaline and a dwarf banded. The banded was picked on pretty good the first night but I haven't seen any tiffs personally - I think it's only going on at night. As filler I would like to get about five lemon or diamond tetras - opinions?

Thanks everyone!

The type of gourami the opaline is doesn't tolerate other gouramis well at all. If they are both males one will likely end up seriously injured or dead.

It's probably a male, the dorsal fin is long - I guess. The dwarfs are supposed to always be male - don't know the story with that. I have one more tank so I can separate them if needed.

What do you think about the small school of fish to distract the gouramis from eachother?

Back
Top Bottom