gourami pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripvanrina

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a gold gourami that always eats the sinking wafers I give to my two dwarf loaches. I tried putting in the flakes first and then the wafer while the other fish are distracted to give the loaches a chance to eat, but they don't always find it right away. Should I be concerned they aren't getting enough food?
I see them pick at it a little before my gourami starts eating it sometimes, and they don't seem to be starving, but I was still worried they aren't getting enough to eat.

I have three loaches in a very competitive tank.....foodwise. My fish are all pigs. Whenever I drop in algae wafers or shrimp pellets the loaches have to compete with the other fish to eat them. However they have grown since I got them and they seem to be absolutely fine. As long as they are growing and active they are probably getting enough to eat. Sometimes I break my wafers up and drop the different pieces in different areas of the tank to spread the competition out a bit. I also drop the pellets in different areas as well so not all the fish are piling on top of one another in the same spot.

I use an old riser tube from an unused undergravel filter. I stick the tube in the water and drop the pellet in the tube. I try to drop the pellet in the same place every time so the bottom feeders get used to one feeding place. It's not always successful, but it gives the bottom feeders a chance to get to the pellets before the rest of the fish do.

I use autofeeders and have my sinking food dropped in at 2am. Since most of my bottom feeders are at least somewhat nocturnal, they get a better shot at the food. Everyone looks well fed at least :D

Back
Top Bottom