Gourami Playing or Harassing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my 55g I have had 2 blue and 2 gold gouramis for about 3 months. Yesterday I added 2 opanine gouramis. The largest of the blues has been chasing after the opalines. Theres no nipping just chasing. Should I be concerned? Also this morning 2 of my rosy barbs (in the same tank) were wildly going in a tight circle, head to tail, around each other. Again no nipping. I think they are a male and female. The other 2 rosy barbs would jump in for a brief second, but it was mainly just the 2. Any ideas?:ermm:

I'm no expert, but I do have 3 in my tank, and they chase all the time, and the barbs, there has never been any nipping just chasing, and the occasional head but when they bump into each other. They are all heathy, colourful and happy so I see it as playing. Unless you see nipping or a behaviour change, like sitting at the bottom or laying on deco, I wouldn't worry too much.

Gourami's are fairly territorial. Adding them all at once and sometimes that many will all find a place to call their own. Adding after some have claimed the territory and they'll fight to the death to protect what is "theirs".

You might try re-arranging the decor to throw them off balance and they might claim new territory and hopefully work it out amoung themselves. But, keep an eye on things and if you need to intervene to save a life, do so. Some Gourami's are more aggressive than others.

The Barbs are probably just courting. That's a good sign <wink>.

6 blue gouramis in a 55 gallon is alot - especially if there aren't sufficient hiding places and territories.

Are there any females in the bunch? that would help ease the aggression.

I am with bubble B0y, that many gouramis is a little excessive. I would do, maybe two pairs of gouramis in that tank. Since they are so territorial, they will show aggresssion in a tank that is even a little too small. My Dwarf Gourami showed aggression in my 10g, but now he is extremely peaceful in my 20 tall.

Also this morning 2 of my rosy barbs (in the same tank) were wildly going in a tight circle, head to tail, around each other. Again no nipping. I think they are a male and female. The other 2 rosy barbs would jump in for a brief second, but it was mainly just the 2. Any ideas?:ermm:

As mentioned, Gouramis are territorial ... re-arranging decor I've heard works fairly well. As for your Barbs, sounds more like two males going at it to establish hierarchy of their shoal .... My male TigerBarbs do this often.

Gourami's are fairly territorial. Adding them all at once and sometimes that many will all find a place to call their own. Adding after some have claimed the territory and they'll fight to the death to protect what is "theirs".

You might try re-arranging the decor to throw them off balance and they might claim new territory and hopefully work it out amoung themselves. But, keep an eye on things and if you need to intervene to save a life, do so. Some Gourami's are more aggressive than others.

The Barbs are probably just courting. That's a good sign <wink>.

After posting my concerns this morning I did wc and moved plants and decorations. Right now all seems calm. The barbs have stopped and all is right in fishdom. I do watch them very closely. :thanks:

6 blue gouramis in a 55 gallon is alot - especially if there aren't sufficient hiding places and territories.

Are there any females in the bunch? that would help ease the aggression.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what sex they are. Whats the best way to tell? :confused:

You can take a look at fin shapes and colors, but if you end up with pairings that are male/male instead of male/female, you might have issues. I have one powder blue dwarf Gourami male that killed another male in a 55 Gal tank. I added some rainbows last week and if they weren't as quick and agile as they are, I'm sure I would have had to decide if he were going to stay in the tank.

Once they established their territory, they get very possessive of it. Luckily, he got tired of protecting such a large area against the overwhelming odds of 5 pretty quick fish and tired out. But, he still tried valiantly for a couple of hours.

After all... it's his tank...

Back
Top Bottom