Gourami swallowing thread again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The saga continues
Oh Goodness me. :roll:

My Gourami is so stupid. 8O Last time I posted about my gourami swallowing a plant rot and it wasn't disapearing. Well, he's done it again! This time its a much thicker plant root, and although none of it is actually sticking out, its still stuck in his mouth because of the way he is gulping. I hope he passes it this time!

Sounds like my cat, it will eat anything that it can see! :) Good luck on your Gourami, hopefully he will passes it, in round two.

I wonder if he thinks the roots are little worms?

I ask because I sometimes feed bloodworms (either frozen or live) to my tank (fish list in my sig), and they love them so much I have seen a small zebra danio grab the end of a bloodworm almost twice his body length. He goes zipping away (to get away from all the other zebras) with this big worm in his mouth and the restof the worm trailing behind him. It is the funniest thing... he works and works and it takes probably 10 minutes for him to get the whole worm swallowed--at which point his little belly is just about bursting out of its skin! :roll:

So I'm just guessing perhaps the gourami thinks its a worm, bites it, and then is too stupid (or stubborn) to let it go.

My bella shark did the same thing with a night crawler. I have to feed a couple of my fish live nightcrawlers and sometimes they would get hold of a couple peices and you would see them with this huge worms sticking out of their mouths. They would also fight off any other fish that try to streal it from them. It is quit funny to watch. :)

I think he has passed it. Funny enough, I've never fed him worms. This time though i got to watch him actually diggin the root up grabbing the end, pulling it off and gulping it down. :p

i fed my gourmis some tubifex worms today and one of them got some caught on his upper tooth so everytime he tried to swim forward it would cover his eye then he'd suck it back in. this repeated for about 5 minutes until he started rubbing his mouth against the side of the tank with no luck so i had to net him and pull it off really quickly lol

Do gouramis like veggie foods? If he is actively eating roots maybe he needs a bit more roughage in his diet.

Back
Top Bottom