Gourami Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banjax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone i just wanted to get some opinions or any real life experiences on an all Gourami tank.I have a 55 Gal tank with two Aquaclear 50's and a Hydor 200W Heater.

Right now i have 6 Red Rainbows, 3 Gold Gourami, 2 Opaline Gourami, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Emerald Corys and 2 Peppered Corys. The 6 Gouramis i have now all seem to be fine with each other and i really enjoy them the most which is why i got the idea.

I of course would end up trading in the rainbows, so how many more do you think would it be possible to put in the tank and is there a male/female ratio i should follow?

Should I also get more dwarfs or would it be better if i also trade in the dwarf since there might be a chance the bigger ones pick on them?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to be sure that it is possible and also make sure that I make it the least stressful for the fish so they're all happy.

My apologies for responding with a question, but do you do anything to minimize aggression between your gouramis? I was initially excited to keep a couple blue checkered gouramis together, but couldn't get them to stop fighting :/

Are there particular types that you seek out or avoid due to their temperaments?

Hey everyone i just wanted to get some opinions or any real life experiences on an all Gourami tank.I have a 55 Gal tank with two Aquaclear 50's and a Hydor 200W Heater.

Right now i have 6 Red Rainbows, 3 Gold Gourami, 2 Opaline Gourami, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Emerald Corys and 2 Peppered Corys. The 6 Gouramis i have now all seem to be fine with each other and i really enjoy them the most which is why i got the idea.

I of course would end up trading in the rainbows, so how many more do you think would it be possible to put in the tank and is there a male/female ratio i should follow?

Should I also get more dwarfs or would it be better if i also trade in the dwarf since there might be a chance the bigger ones pick on them?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to be sure that it is possible and also make sure that I make it the least stressful for the fish so they're all happy.

How long have you had the current gourami together? Usually the larger ones will play nice with the dwarves for a bit while young, but once they hit maturity they tend to harass the smaller ones.

If you remove the rainbows you could fit 2-3 more Trichopodus trichopterus (blue/opaline/gold/lavender/gold, they're all color morphs of the same base species). I wouldn't try to mix other gourami species, as different species tend to fight once mature. Some people have luck with multiple males as long as each male has 3 females for his harem, but in my experience with my 75 gallon I had the best results when they were all females or just one male. It's really dependent on fish personalities.

New members of the group need to be added at the same time to minimize chances of the lone newbie getting ganged up on by the established members. They also should be either larger than the originals or as close to the same size as possible. Doing a tank re-scape while adding the new members helps as well, since it makes everyone get distracted with picking out a new hangout spot rather than picking on the new members.

Good luck!

How long have you had the current gourami together? Usually the larger ones will play nice with the dwarves for a bit while young, but once they hit maturity they tend to harass the smaller ones.

If you remove the rainbows you could fit 2-3 more Trichopodus trichopterus (blue/opaline/gold/lavender/gold, they're all color morphs of the same base species). I wouldn't try to mix other gourami species, as different species tend to fight once mature. Some people have luck with multiple males as long as each male has 3 females for his harem, but in my experience with my 75 gallon I had the best results when they were all females or just one male. It's really dependent on fish personalities.

New members of the group need to be added at the same time to minimize chances of the lone newbie getting ganged up on by the established members. They also should be either larger than the originals or as close to the same size as possible. Doing a tank re-scape while adding the new members helps as well, since it makes everyone get distracted with picking out a new hangout spot rather than picking on the new members.

Good luck!

Right now it's been about 3 Months and yes i was definitely going to keep it within the same species with hopes of possibly breeding in the future and was also for sure looking to change up the layout a bit and possibly add another piece so they have more spots to hide and call their own.

to answer jbtravis91 question didn't really do anything other than making sure i had one male right now and the rest female and giving them places to hide other than that i don't know if i am just getting lucky right now but lets not jinx it :)

Back
Top Bottom