Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palechek13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon with 6 gouramis (1 dwarf, 2 pearls, and 3 yellow) they have been chasing each other a lot is this normal?

Gouramis are like bettas, two males cannot be kept together. Sometimes it is possible with adequate space and a lot of plants to break their line of site, but I doubt 29 gallons is enough space for all of those gouramis. So yes, it is normal behavior, but you really need to think about separating them. I'm not sure if the different types will be ok together, but multiple gouramis of the same species will not, if they are males.

I bought 2 young males together. They were fine in my 29 gallon as adolescents, but as they matured, they begin fighting and I had to separate them.

I have 2 males (the 3rd is hard to tell). I have a bigger tank to deprecate them but how should I separate them? Just take out 1 male and 1 female of the same species or put the 2 males in the bigger tank?

It all depends on if the 3 different species get along. Do you notice any fighting going on between the different kinds, or are they just picking on their own kind?

If they can be kept together, the single dwarf gourami should be ok. You are going to have to separate the Pearls probably because if you have 2 males they won't get along, and if you have a male and a female, the male will chase her relentlessly. Im not sure if 2 females will fight or not. If you have more than 1 yellow male, they will also need separated. The only way you can keep all 3 yellows is if you have a male and 2 females so he's not constantly chasing one of them.

You might want to check your stocking on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor as well. You might run into issues with overstocking your tank.

Any male gourami will fight with any other male gourami, it's best to just keep one male per tank and as many females as you want. I currently have 1 male blue spot, 1 female blue spot, 1 female dwarf honey, and a female opaline. I have no issues. I had a dwarf male years ago and this male killed it very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom