Gouramis and betas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to see what would happen if I put my wife's beta (Phil) into my 45 gallon fresh tank with my guppies and platies in it. They mix really well and no murders:). Now, I want to add a fire belly dwarf gourami and a dwarf honey gourami to my tank. Does anyone have any experience in mixing betas with these guys? I don't want to buy 2 gouramis and wake up the next morning with fish that have been picked apart. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I had my dragon betta, Walter, in my 50 with two honeys, Clover and Tupelo, for a few weeks til his 10 was cycled and they all did fine. My betta is very mellow, despite being a "dragon", however.

It really depends on the betta. If he's fiesty or a punk it probably won't work.

The fins of male guppies resemble betta fins so a fight is bound to occur. Bettas and gouramis are related so they might also fight.

My opaline gourami was a nightmare he bullied everything and always tore up my bettas fins, I had to return him after a while.

Well if you've got your betta cohabitating with guppies and platies you may have a very passive betta. That said I really wouldn't suggest pushing your luck any further with a gourami.

I'm not going to get gouramis. I don't want to risk the beta, Phil. She would kill me If he was nipped to death.

Back
Top Bottom