Gravel cleaner recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikfab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I have a 36 gallon tank and bought a gravel cleaner. I got the Python Pro-Clean with the pump. I am finding that it doesn't pick up a lot of the debris. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a better gravel cleaner I should buy?

My substrate is eco complete.

Thanks!

We go in the substrate to get to the bottom and we scan the top.

And it's a hand pump I imagine? Like you have to manually squeeze it to get it to work?
Maybe your gravel just isn't that dirty.
Also you probably shouldn't go that deep (like to the bottom), I hear it can release trapped ammonia bubbles.

Skip the pump and just let the system pull water via gravity/suction. That's all I do and get a lot of debris with no pump.

The only time you will usually find ammonia pockets is in a heavily compacted substrate like sand. As for having good suction it will depend on how much higher the tank is than the buket/sink you are draining it into. When I do my second floor tanks they go much quicker than my tanks on the same level as my sink

We only pump to get the water flowing, then we just let the gravity/suction go naturally. We drain it into a bucket on the floor and our tank is on a stand.

What I tend to notice is that I will see debris go up the tub but will never make it all the way up to get suctioned out. It seems like the suction isn't powerful enough.

Back
Top Bottom