Gravel question/ moving question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I want to add some more gravel to my aquarium, but i have live plants and i don't want to disrupt the rooting system. Can i just add it on top without messing uprooting the plants? or do i need to take it all out and replant everything? Im also fixing to move so i plan on doing it after I move, but I also have a question about moving, i did read an article from this site, but it said i needed to break everything down. Im just moving down the road, it will take like 5 minutes, i was wondering if i could just take all but about 6 inches of water out and leave everything in it and then just fill it back up when i get to the new house. How is the best way to do this?

Well as far as the moving. i had a SW tank and i moved about 15 mins away. what i did is i got a 25 gal bucket lined it with a bag, poured in oh about 85-90% of the water moved my tank (light enough to carry by then) and when i got to new location i just added the water from the bucket back into my tank. Nothing was harmed during the move. I'm pertty sure that would work for FW also. hope that helps

The problem with moving and having water in the tank is that the bottom may not be able to support the weight. Most tanks can't. A 55 gal tank will surely not be able to hold the weight of all of the gravel/decor/and most of the water. I'd advise against it.

Take as much water as possible out of the tank and bring it to the new place. Even muiltiple trips would be advised if it is right down the road. I moved last month and haven't lost any fish yet. I used three rubbermaid 25's to do the job. A pain... yes! But definitely worth it in the end. Cleaning up the mess that comes from a broken bottom weould hardly seem worth it.

Back
Top Bottom