Gravel substrate to sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitin1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I had to change the substrate as the earlier one was the gravel of white marble Stone. I don't know but the color of the gravel changed so thought of changing it..I got the sand from the construction site and washed it thoroughly and trimmed the two plants which I had from the start. To maintain the nitrites, I placed a potho's plant also.i wanted to place a small drift wood in this small tank but it's already crowded. I saw couple of aquascaping videos in YouTube.. It was really fascinating.. I wanted to do so, I could not find any pet stores having plants other than these.
The fishes in the image are zebra danios. The zebra danios which I see in the internet and what I have are bit different.. the one which I have is having yellow golden belly. It's been 2 months they all services the cycle..

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_010718.jpg
    IMG_20180116_010718.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 66
Those fish do not look like danios. They look more like an African Malawi cichlid. I'm afraid your tank is too small for them. What are all those stones lying around?? And what type of sand did you get from a construction site??

Last edited:
Even if they were zebra danios, a 6 gallon tank (mentioned in other threads) would be too small for such active fish.

thank you for the suggestions.. @Fresh2o, @Reygan2, @dcutl002
when i started, i had 6 pairs of different fishes. i was not aware of the cycle concept and never tried to google it seriously. simply went to the pet store and he suggested the tank of 6 gallon, sobo wp1200f water purifier, some gravel of white marble stone of quarter to half inch size some coloured pabble stones and a submersable blue light.. he gave 2 fake ornamental plants and an ornament (broken ship) and i purchased 2 live plants . all costed some around 1500 INR.i.e., 25 USD..
all the fishes which he gave were sacrificed to the nitro cycle. (pet store person did not mentioned about the cycle and the overcrowded ) i then got to know that the zebra danios are the hardest for the cycle.. i tried. they successfully survived.. when i bought they all were not more than a quarter inch in size. i bought 14 of them.. the vendor told me that those were the danios... i doubted because the danios have horizontal lines all over the body but the fishes what i have have the yellow belly and they are really active..
the gravel which was given by the pet store vendor was changing its colour and i was doing only 50% water change every month..i had 2 live plants for good oxygen supply in the aquarium as i did not bought the defuser.
i viewed some youtube videos of sand substrate coz i was concerned about the live plants. the roots were comming out and the fishes were biting it..i wanted to purchase some substrate from the pet store vendor as well as from amazon but it was above my budget. so finally for some sand from a construction site. here we dont have pool sand and play sand...the sand which i have used is of river bank.. the pebble stones are used to hold the plants in the sand. you may be right aabout the overcrowded but it looks good for me.. i thought of adding 5 more pairs of the same...(dropped the plan)
for the time period and having this tank, i am planning for a 100g acrylic tank by the year end. i have some plan for that.. it should be full of live plants(aqua scaping) few cleaning fishes and big school of neon tetras.
yes, the light is blue and i hate it.. i will try to make a white led light for them in a short period of time..

thanks and regards

Back
Top Bottom