gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to switch my tank from gravel to sand and just wanted some ideas on the best way to do this. Id like to do it with out having to take all the fish out if possible

The article helped a lot but if I leave the fish in should I take out all the decor or leave half in so the fish have somewhere to hide

2manyFish said:
The article helped a lot but if I leave the fish in should I take out all the decor or leave half in so the fish have somewhere to hide

IMO I would just take the decor out, less hassle and worry with the moving of decor in the middle of the switch

trybal said:
Is sand more high maintenance than gravel as far as keeping clean of old food and waste?

Gravel is more maintenance because decomposing food and waste become trapped in between and under the gravel whereas with sand it just stays on top making it easier to clean up. In most cases you are more likely to be overcome with a Detritus Worm infestation in a tank with gravel opposed to sand.

Back
Top Bottom