Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!! I recently had a comment on another thread about changing my gravel to sand as I have a few goldfish who I’m worried might swallow it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand and or type is best (I have a 55gal tank with 2 small telescope eyes and 1 big Oranda)? Also, what is the least stressful way of changing from gravel to sand, regarding my fish? I don’t want to stress them out as they are really sensitive. Do I have to remove them from the tank? I don’t know as I’m relatively knew to the fish world and have never used sand before. Another suggestions and or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Because someone commented on another thread that my gravel was too small for my fish and they could potentially swallow it

I've been this hobby a long time, with many different aquarium setups, all with small grain gravel substrate. Never had a fish choke to death. Sand seems to be the go to substrate as of late. It looks nice if a aquarium compatable variety is selected. Sand can also be a disaster if not taken care of properly. Be sure to thoroughly research sand substates before you transition and make an educated choice.

Thanks, I might stick to gravel for the time being, was just worried and wanted to make sure the fish aren’t in any danger [emoji4]

I agree with V. I've never had a fish choke on gravel. And I constantly have Cichlids sucking up gravel and spitting it out.

If you decide to switch to sand....move your fish to a 5 gallon bucket(s) with an airstone. Drain the tank and scoop out the gravel with an ice scooper or a dust pan or something similar. Save some of the gravel in a mesh bag or pantyhose and add it to the tank after you fill it again. This will help with the BB growth. Maybe it's overkill because you have your old filter media you will be running which contains BB. But placing some of the old gravel in the tank, I feel, will help your tank from going into a mini cycle.

Rinse your sand good before putting it into the tank. At the end of your rinsing....rinse the sand with dechlorinated water. Add the sand to your tank then fill it with dechlorinated water once you put all your plants and/or decor back inside.

I agree with V. I've never had a fish choke on gravel. And I constantly have Cichlids sucking up gravel and spitting it out.

If you decide to switch to sand....move your fish to a 5 gallon bucket(s) with an airstone. Drain the tank and scoop out the gravel with an ice scooper or a dust pan or something similar. Save some of the gravel in a mesh bag or pantyhose and add it to the tank after you fill it again. This will help with the BB growth. Maybe it's overkill because you have your old filter media you will be running which contains BB. But placing some of the old gravel in the tank, I feel, will help your tank from going into a mini cycle.

Rinse your sand good before putting it into the tank. At the end of your rinsing....rinse the sand with dechlorinated water. Add the sand to your tank then fill it with dechlorinated water once you put all your plants and/or decor back inside.

Thanks for the advice, don’t think I’m gonna change at this point, I’ll just keep an eye on my fish [emoji4]

I find it less messy to add sand or fine gravel under water instead of pouring water on top. I agree with king on the rinsing and rinsing again. And as for potential dangers with sand . Food or poop can get caught under the sand for long periods of time” especially with digging fish” when That happens you get a pocket of deadly gases starting to form. Then when it gets uncovered that pocket breaks free and unleashes bad into your water instantly. I prevent that with simply combing through the sand/gravel to release any pockets of air and lift any debris

Edit: some fish have weaker stomachs than others. I know it’s recommended for bichirs to have fine gravel or sand. Since larger gravel will clog them up

Back
Top Bottom