Gravel Vac contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I currently have a homebrew Python I use on my three tanks. However it has recently occurred to me that this may be a recipe for spreading problems through all of my tanks.

I'd like to be as safe as possible, within reason of course, when changing my water.

Does this mean I should look at buying additional gravel vacs? What about hoses? Is there an easy way to cleanse the gravel vac and hose between tanks? Am I being overly cautious?

Kind of a vague thread but hopefully I'm getting across my concerns (y)

I have one python that I use between 2 tanks. The only thing I do is run hot water (120 deg) through it. I figure nothing can survive that. I thought about using bleach, but then I would have to deal with the chlorine...

I have one python that I use between 2 tanks. The only thing I do is run hot water (120 deg) through it. I figure nothing can survive that. I thought about using bleach, but then I would have to deal with the chlorine...

Interesting. Seems very simple & effective! Thanks :thanks:

I use 1 gravel vac for 3 tanks, I just let the vac dry out completely , and I haven't had a problem, but it's me nets that are getting me into trouble. I have an algae problem in my 16 gal and was taking out a dead half eaten shrimp, I then scooped out some fry from my 55 gal , am now having Floyd water problems in both tanks....

I use 1 gravel vac for 3 tanks, I just let the vac dry out completely , and I haven't had a problem, but it's me nets that are getting me into trouble. I have an algae problem in my 16 gal and was taking out a dead half eaten shrimp, I then scooped out some fry from my 55 gal , am now having Floyd water problems in both tanks....

Another good idea that actually works well with the hot water (Drying out quicker than cold).

I've also been using one net for my tanks. Really do need to buy a few more, they're cheap enough I really should have no excuse :(.

Cynic said:
Hi all,

I currently have a homebrew Python I use on my three tanks. However it has recently occurred to me that this may be a recipe for spreading problems through all of my tanks.

I'd like to be as safe as possible, within reason of course, when changing my water.

Does this mean I should look at buying additional gravel vacs? What about hoses? Is there an easy way to cleanse the gravel vac and hose between tanks? Am I being overly cautious?

Kind of a vague thread but hopefully I'm getting across my concerns (y)

I wouldn't really worry about it until you actually have a problem. I had algae growing in mine so I left it hooked to the sink and got a bottle of bleach and filled it up. Then really rinsed good until I no longer smelled bleach.

Back
Top Bottom