Gravel vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's a good gravel vac for a 5 gallon heavily planted pea puffer tank???
Do I even need a gravel vac or can I clean the tank by just using a cup to take water out?

FreshwaterTropical said:
What's a good gravel vac for a 5 gallon heavily planted pea puffer tank???
Do I even need a gravel vac or can I clean the tank by just using a cup to take water out?

You are going to need a gravel vacuum. For one that size I would just go to an LFS and get the smallest vacuum they have.

I would just use a syphon that has the gravel vac attachment. The gravel bed in the tank collect all the excess food and fish waste and it would be best it that got vacuumed up.

TT71 said:
I would just use a syphon that has the gravel vac attachment. The gravel bed in the tank collect all the excess food and fish waste and it would be best it that got vacuumed up.
A gravel vacuum IS a siphon with the gravel vac attachment. And that is what it is used for, vacuuming up waste in the substrate.

FreshwaterTropical said:
Ok well I got the smallest one they had and the end tube is still too big!

Do you mean that the end tube is too wide?

You might want to look into fixing your own. You can just buy the tubes and end caps from Home Depot or Lowe's. Just ask a Sales Associate about it and I'm sure they will be more than happy to walk you through it.

That's what I did for my 55g. I needed a longer one than I could find at any pet shop.

They are honestly amazing. I'm one of those people who never really got the hang of starting the syphon, so these just make it so much easier. They just aren't the easiest to find.

Aqueon carries a syphon that has this attached and I believe Fluval and some other brand have attached ones too. These separate ones are non-existent around me. I randomly found mine at a local shop

TheCrazyFishLady said:
They are honestly amazing. I'm one of those people who never really got the hang of starting the syphon, so these just make it so much easier. They just aren't the easiest to find.

Aqueon carries a syphon that has this attached and I believe Fluval and some other brand have attached ones too. These separate ones are non-existent around me. I randomly found mine at a local shop

Ok cool, so you just squeeze it to create suction?

Back
Top Bottom