gravel versus sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dubleshortlatte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a few smaller tanks, including a 6 gal and a 2.5 gal, and I'm "upgrading" to a 12 gal setup. I plan to have the following fish in the new 12 gal:

3 platies
4-7 balloon mollies (I currently have 3 adults and 4 juvenilles that I need to find homes for)
1 juli cory catfish
1 male betta

My question is regarding substrates...gravel v. sand. I've never used sand before, but I hear it would be better for my catfish and make cleaning wastes easier. What are your opinions? What are the pros and cons of sand and gravel?

Thanks!

I prefer sand and have recently changed the substrate to sand in 2 more tanks. The pros are easier to clean, looks more natural. Pool filter sand is cheaper than gravel. There are no cons IMO, you either have to stir the sand up or you have to get MTS to do it for you.

Before adding all of those fish to the tank, you may want to reconsider the quantity that you're going to add. IMO that would be overstocking. Plus, the Cories like to be in groupings of at least 5.

Now onto your actual question. :D

Sand: Easy to clean, easy to maintain, no debris being sifted through it causing high nitrates, easy to aquascape, looks great, but you do have to stir it at water changes to prevent gas buildups.

Gravel: Hmmm, can't think of any pros. LOL Ok, so I am biased towards sand. :D

As Zagz said, check out Pool Filter sand. It's all I use in my tanks and it is a HECK of a lot cheaper than the lfs sand. Plus, it looks great. The cories will definately benefit from sand as long as it isn't jaggid.

all right, thanks for the input. ;)

As far as overstocking goes, i most likely will keep the mollies to 4 (3 adults and one juvenille quickly approaching adulthood)...my brother is looking for some fish, and i'm definitely trying to convince him to take my 3 newborn fry once they grow up! That's odd; the lfs that i got the catfish from told me that they were solitary and that they would be fine by themselves...but after hearing what you have to say about them, I'll rethink the betta and perhaps get another catfish or two.

Pros? Cons? What are those? lol.

Pros:
Looks more natural.
Easier to maintain.
Cheaper.

Cons:
Need to stir sand occasionally.

hmmmmm, let me rethink, could get some MTS.

Let's do this again...

Pros:
Looks more natural.
Easier to maintain.
Cheaper.
MTS do the stirring for you.

Cons:
Sand gets sucked up in the filter too easily.

hmmmmmm, Maybe I don't need so long a input nozzel... :)

Thinking again.

Pros:
Looks more natural.
Easier to maintain.
Cheaper.
MTS do the stirring for you.
Less current keeps bad stuff waterborn longer til it get's removed by filter, no matter how high the input nozzel. (Doesn't get lodged deep down in the gravel)

Cons:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Will get back with you next year. Happy New Year.........

Yup, cories are definately schooling fish. I have no clue why they would have told you they are solitary fish. Another one of those "great pieces of advice from the lfs". :D Don't worry, we all have those "tips" that they give. I was once told that Apple Snails will switch shells so I need to add additional shells to the tank so they can move up in size. :roll:

fishy, are you sure it wasn't the really rare hermit apple? :D :roll:

When I set up my 125 or 150 I'll be using a combination of flourite (probably 2-3 bags) and concrete sand. It's available from any stone yard and contains unscreened sand (has some small pebbles and sand giving a nice difference in the substrate.) and it's 4$ for 80lbs.

I agree, I got mine from a pool supply store. Here is was $13.00 for a 50 lb bag. Still considerably cheaper than aquarium sand.

Awesome. I set up my new 5gal last night, using sand for the first time! I'm letting it cycle...I'm so excited! It looks gorgeous compared to gravel.

My lfs doesn't carry MTS; do you guys know of any good online places to get them?

dubleshortlatte said:
Silly question, but where can i get pool filter sand? a hardware store?

Buy pool filter sand at the pool filter sand store! 8) LOL. I found it at a store that sells whirlpools (jaccuzis). Any business that sells for pools would have it too. HTH

If i have gravel now, and want to replace it with new gravel stone. Can i just take out the old stuff and replace it with new..... I only have 6 goldfish in it.

Also, i have a bottom undergrave filter, i guess i cant use sand...

thanks.

No, i have a fluval 403 canister filter.

tank is approximately 47.4 gallons

If i have gravel now, and want to replace it with new gravel stone. Can i just take out the old stuff and replace it with new..... I only have 6 goldfish in it.

Back
Top Bottom