Gravel vs. Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would you clean this? Wouldn't a siphon suck up the sand?

sand sits in the creases of the gravel where waste would normally accumulate so it pretty much sits on top (so siphon like you would sand, hover above) .. every once and a while dig down and siphon like gravel like normal gravel, but do it into a bucket so the sand sinks to the bottom and you can rinse it, and put it back in the tank

rreekers said:
sand sits in the creases of the gravel where waste would normally accumulate so it pretty much sits on top (so siphon like you would sand, hover above) .. every once and a while dig down and siphon like gravel like normal gravel, but do it into a bucket so the sand sinks to the bottom and you can rinse it, and put it back in the tank

Makes sense. Thanks. I was thinking of doing a "sand patch" on the middle of my tank for my corys.

yeah that is a good idea, in my 60g hexagon i have a sand pit in the front of it right now. I did it for my kuhli loaches. they glide across it alot but other than that have no interest in it, but it looks cool. I would say make the sand area, even it the corys do not take to the sand as much as you hope, sand generally looks cool.. my only suggestion is to make the sand area away from the filter intake

I used to have just gravel, but wanted a different look; instead of either sand or gravel, why not both I thought. My fish love it, and my plants are all growing just fine.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 127
Your tank looks great akagochi! I'm still trying to decide on a sand patch in the front/middle or just mixing it all with sand and gravel. What do you think?

I think that is a fantastic idea ! if you need any more advice regarding how to do it. let us know because obviously some of use have already done it ! :)

Yes do it, and send us pics of your progress. Sand patches are fun, but inevitably other gravel or whatever substrate you are using will mix with it due to cleaning and/or reorganizing plants, but hey it will still be great! :)

I have a white sand and a black sand tank. And i really like the black bottoms on freshwater, but white looks great with salt i think..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111212_211450.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111212_211450.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 104
Well here's my pics. I'm not sure I like the color. I imagined it better in my mind. And here is a pic of one of my corys and my GBR enjoying it :)

Attachments

• image-2855562506.jpg
    image-2855562506.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image-270994815.jpg
    image-270994815.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 90
I prefer sand as it's easier to clean and my long finned fish don't fray there fins on it :)but my fish went a dull colour when I added the sand

I've done both, but I much prefer mud substrate "fluval stratum" for my planted tanks. They're like little mud balls that are great for your plants, it also lowers the ph a bit and my tetras like it.

looks good! I like what you did with the middle patch, and the broken art pieces add a nice touch; most importantly the residents like it.

Back
Top Bottom