Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Green algae

Help! I have a 300ltr/66g discus tank with some live plants. I have 10 small discus about 3.5" in size and a golden nugget plec. I have sand on the bottom. Just recently there has been a few patches of algae on the sand and they are starting to get worse. I do pwc every 3-4 days cleaning the sand as I do it. But it doesn't seem to clear the algae up. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Check the link below to see if this is what you have. From your description, it kind of sounds like cyanobacteria. Hope this helps!

Blue Green Algae Control in Freshwater Aquarium | Aquariums Life

Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

J colon

Thanks for the reply, I have been to the LFS today, they suggested that I replace the phosphate pad in my filter. I explained the problem to them and they said they had it in a tank of theirs. They replaced the phosphate pad in the filter and it cleared up after a few days. To be fair the pad in my filter is over due to be replaced so no harm in trying that.
Again thanks for the reply

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com