Green algae covering the sides of my aquarium please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaunandkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing some searching for the answers, but I can't seem to find the answer that I need. My tank has finally cycled, so I don't have any ammonia or nitrite levels. My fish seem happy. They get fed twice a day. I have an oto cat that I bought to get rid of the diatoms (and he's done a decent job so far) and I have an algae eating shrimp, but he hasn't done much at all. I really need to get rid of this algae, it looks awful! What can I do to get rid of it? Thanks.

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Why not start by reducing the time the light is left on. :wink:

Is it brown diatom algae, or green algae? From the title of your post, you have both? Diatoms are small crustations, but they are sometimes called "brown algae". The oto cat is eating the diatoms, but the algae-eating shrimp (amano shrimp, maybe) should eat hair algae. I have a little bit of brown algae in my tanks. It mostly looks like small brown spots on the glass, and some is visible in the gravel, since my gravel is white. The tanks are low-light tanks, and diatoms seem to appear in low-light tanks. How long are your lights on now? It's still a good idea to reduce the time your lights are on, like Brian said.

Try feeding only once a day. Too much food can contribute to the fuel for green algae. I don't think the shrimp will eat the diatoms (although I've seen my fish suddenly eye up the gravel and then pick at it). The shrimp may also pick at the bottom of the tank for uneaten food, but overfeeding in general should be avoided. Most people here feed once a day, with one day of the week off (no food given), to give the fishes' digestive system a rest. If you want to feed twice a day, take the portion that you feed in only one feeding now, and divide it in half. That way you are still cutting down on the feeding.

We try to keep it on about 5 hours a day and have been doing so for the last couple of weeks.

The oto has taken care of the majority of the diatomes.

So you're saying the shrimp is for hair algae, and not the green algae that is growing on the side of my tank? Whoops :) What can I feed the shrimp since there isn't any hair algae for him to eat?

And I'll have to try to convince my wife to just feed them once a day :lol:

Hmmm...5 hours of light time seems like it wouldn't start or fuel algae. How many watts is your lighting?

You mentioned that your ammonia and nitrites are 0, which is great! What about your nitrates? High nitrates (and I'm not real sure how high; I'll just say 60 ppm) could contribute to the algae bloom. Nitrates should ideally be kept in the 20-40 ppm range.

Your shrimp will pick around the bottom of the tank for uneated food. Usually there will be enough for him at the bottom to find. You don't need to dump more in just for him. :wink: If, though, you see him swimming around "restlessly" you can drop a flake or two his way. Also, you can feed him algae wafers. These will not contribute to the algae in your tank. (that is, if you don't overfeed them!) I used to spot-feed my shrimp. I had a long pair of tweezers and I put the wafer right in front of him. I did it this way because my betta would get so curious about the wafer that he wouldn't let the shrimp eat in peace. If the betta didn't see the wafer, then he didn't bother the shrimp! I would feed about a quarter of an algae wafer 2 or 3 times a week.

Once a day feeding is best. I would probably feed once a day until you get this algae under control.

Another thing I though of: Are you doing gravel vacs when you do water changes? Vaccuuming the gravel can help to pull excess wastes and food from the gravel. I vac half of my tank one week, and the other half the next week. That way, I'm not disturbing too much of the good cycling bacteria, even though most of the bacteria is in my filter media.

Just an update, I got rid of the algae with an algae magnet. It all scraped off no problem. I then did a water change, and now the water looks clearer than it ever has, and my fish look happier than ever.

My only thought at this point is you could be overfeeding your fish. Twice a day seems excessive to me. Overfeeding can contribute to the algae growth.

having a tank near a window can make a huge difference when it comes to algae. in my sons 20gl i had a hard time keeping it out of direct sunlight in his room and as a result the chinese algae eaters work over time...lol

Scrapping algae is something most of us have to deal with at some point. Definitely reduce the amount of food you give your fish. Most fish can be fed every other day and be JUST fine :D

I was having a problem with brown algae but I bought 3 oto and they wiped it all out in less than a week. It was all over my plants, decorations and gravel. Now the tank is crystal clear

Back
Top Bottom