Green Algae Spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started growing more and more green algae spots on the side of my tank. When it was minor, I left the lights off for 2 days and covered it with a towel to keep it pitch black but it did not seem to help.

I had an onion plant and some other plant that I removed recently. The only live plant in there now are a few java moss.

The tank is 55g standard, I have a T5HO fixture, 1 54w 6700k bulb and 1 54w actinic bulb. My current stocking is 1 albino bn pleco, 1 pair of kribensis and about 50 kribensis fries.

I tried to scrub off the algae with a paper towel but it seemed to do no good. I also have a emperor 400 HOB if that is important.

It is starting to get nasty and I was wondering what I should be doing.

I have a little tank scrubber that I use. If you really need it tho there are also algae scrapers. Elbow grease required! :p make sure to siphon out any little chunks or flakes of algae that fall off.

Large green spots? Not a dust like appearance? This is called 'Green Spot Algae' or GSA. It's caused by either low phosphate levels (which is what causes me to get it) or low CO2 levels. Based on your tank (T5HO w/o CO2) it could be either or a combination of the two.

They're pretty large IMO, they've green from a 1cm radius to almost 3cm radius.

In this case, how would I dose it with CO2 or phosphate?

Phosphates can come from dry ferts or some bottled products (which are literally like 50 cents worth of ferts sold at huge markup). For CO2, you're pretty much going to need to get a pressurized system for good, consistent levels, but you will see INSANE plant growth afterwards.

Where would I be able to find dry ferts? Are there any sort of cheap pressurized system? I was kind of looking for some short term solutions

It is currently in a 55g tank with little stocking, and I am concerned it might be dangerous for the fries.

I find that scraping the spots with an old credit card got it off really well. It's a lot cheaper than buying a scraper and won't scratch the glass :)

I use a razor blade...doesn't scratch the glass at all...gets it off real good

What if I added more plants? I have about 14 anubias and 6 java fern coming my way next week. I am not sure if I would be able to find a place to refill my CO2.

Fishies86 said:
I find that scraping the spots with an old credit card got it off really well. It's a lot cheaper than buying a scraper and won't scratch the glass :)

I. Made a diy one with a cred. Card (dont use one you signed the back of..) and some popsicle sticks. Use super glue as its aquarium safe. Some of those scrapers are upwards of 30 bucks. I got the sticks at the doctors lol

Back
Top Bottom