Green shipping water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently, a lot of fish I have had come in, have been in a yellow/green tinted water.

I know that this is some sort of medication, but what medication is it?

I originally thought that it was nitrofuracin green, but I ordered some and that stuff is blue so that can't be it!

I've been wanting to get something to add to my shipping water to help the fish out during transit as much as I can, and until I figure out what this green stuff is, I will be using the nitrofuracin (unless someone has a good reason not to) or until I figure out what the green stuff is and which would be better to use.

Thanks for any info!!

That could definitely be it. I'm trying to find info on if it's used for shipping or not but can't come up with much right now..

My guess would be the same- malachite/Victoria green or something similar. This can create green water depending on the composition of the source water. Tetracycline can cause yellow tinted water as can a few other meds. I would not use nitro to help with shipping as adding an antibiotic to a healthy fish's water really serves no purpose and it will not help with toxin exposure during shipping. Pure oxygen, in my opinion, is the best thing you can add to a shipping bag.

My guess would be the same- malachite/Victoria green or something similar. This can create green water depending on the composition of the source water. Tetracycline can cause yellow tinted water as can a few other meds. I would not use nitro to help with shipping as adding an antibiotic to a healthy fish's water really serves no purpose and it will not help with toxin exposure during shipping. Pure oxygen, in my opinion, is the best thing you can add to a shipping bag.

Thanks for the input.
I still can't find much info about the malachite being used for shipping, so I'll skip out on that.
The reason I want to use something is as a preventative. I've had a decent amount of fish come to me looking ill, and I figured that using something as a preventative measure will keep from my healthy fish showing up to their new owners and being/getting sick. Shipping is very stressful on the fish and can occasionally make illnesses pop up that normally wouldn't if they hadn't been shipped.
I use a double dose of prime in my shipping water already to try to detox anything that could be in their water during shipment and started using oxygen recently as well. I've noticed that I'm getting less deaths now (not that I had many before) but I do want to do everything that I can for them to arrive to their new homes safely.

It sounds like your doing a great job and doing everything necessary to ensure your fish leave healthy! If I come across anything in respect to adding anything 'green', I will let you know but I honestly have not familiar with this. :)

Yeah I've looked into them before, but they are too expensive for me to consider. $1 a piece is rediculous for something that doesn't do much more than prime and o2 would.

Are you 100% sure that the water itself is green and not just the plastic bag? It's very possible that they're being shipped with QuICK Cure (or some similar product) prophylactically and the malachite green is dying the plastic funny.

Yes I'm positive it's the water itself. The bags have no stain on them when I remove the fish and water from them, and when the water is poured down the drain it is green.

I should correct myself and say that it's like a neon green/safety yellow. The color that some construction and roadwork companies use.

Back
Top Bottom