Green specs or algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
These green specs of algae are appearing only on the front of my tank. It doesnt want to go away when i use magnet or the algae scrub brush. Id like it to disappear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415078857450.jpg
    1415078857450.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 87
Squeegee?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not a very good pic, the camera wants to focus on everything but the green spots

Green spots or dots is Green Spot Algae. GSA will normally go away when phosphate levels are kept at 3ppm. How long do you run your lighting daily? What type of lighting and bulbs do you have? When dealing with algae issues running lights for 6 hours only is the best thing to do. If the GSA won't come off with an algae magnet you may have to use a razor blade but only if you have a glass tank. Do you use any fertilizers in the tank?

w

My lights are on a timer for 6 hours a day. I dont use fertilizers. The ottos and pleco don't touch the green spec algae. I have an acylic tank so i cant use a razor blade

Nerite snails are about the only thing that is actually able to remove GSA. You can also get an acrylic safe algae pad and gently remove them by hand. Depending on the type of plants you have and lighting levels you are going to have to use fertilizers. It would be a good idea to test your tanks nitrate and phosphate levels. Then depending on the levels you can get the proper fertilizers you need. Another thing is you can also use a liquid carbon daily to increase growth and photosynthesis in plants with the added bonus that they act as a mild algaecide.

I have the algae pad but it doesn't do very well. I'll grab a couple nerites today.
I try to keep my nitrates under control with water changes weekly and sometimes more often. I also only feed every other day to keep the water healthy. In a few days I'll be going out of town so they'll get 4 days of no tank lights so maybe that will help curb any new growth.

The plants I have are 2 anubias and a bunch of java moss. I have some Seachem Flourish but I never really use it. I have always been reluctant to add chemicals that aren't 100% necessary. I will start dosing a according to directions.

I need to say thank you for the advice. I bought 4 Nerites on Monday, and by Thursday evening I noticed ALL the green spec algae was gone. I was amazed at how quickly they got to it because on Tuesday when I saw one snail working on it, I thought to myself it would take them weeks to get it done at that rate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom