green spot algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gradantanant

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey all

when I decided to change my background to black cardobard I discovered these little green spots dotted around the back wall of my tank. it was very hard to scrap off and most of it is still there.

I was wondering what type of algae it is and what is causing it and how to get rid of it successfully.

tia
grant

Yep, it's a healthy, photosynthetic algae (though, ideally, you don't really want very much algae). It is a pain to remove (scrubbing will do it after about 10 strokes), but it shows that you're tank has a fair amount of light. Nothing to worry about.

One other method of getting rid of it is a razorblade angled flush to the glass.

Dosing phosphates got rid of all my spot algae problems. The only time I scrub my glass now is for the occasional brownish film.

My brother (apocalypsegold) also uses a razor blade, but I am scared that I would scratch the glass, so I use a credit card. I get lots of fake ones in junk mail and finally found a use for them.

I know what you mean about the stuff being hard to get off. I used to scrub so hard I was worried about breaking the glass and the stuff still would not come off. It just needed to be scraped instead of scrubbed.

Back
Top Bottom