Green Spot Puffer Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

We picked up a couple of small (1") Green Spot Puffer fish from our LFS, they were in the freshwater section and in the same area as the tropical fish..

After we purchased them and I got home, I was doing research about them as I never believe my LFS (Experience learned from Saltwater Reef keeping), I found that they can be in fresh water while young but should actually be in Brackish water and can actually be put in a saltwater tank?

Anyway, Even though I guess it's okay that they are in freshwater, I am guessing that it would be smarter to add salt to the water to make it brackish?

Can I use my Marine Salt? or do I have to purchase special salt for this? 1.015 is what I read?

I just put in a couple of frozen clams as I ready that was a recommended food? They haven't really touched them yet, they haven't been in the tank quite 24 hours yet.. What else should I feed them?

Thanks,

-TheChad

They're going to need at least brackish to survive long term, high end brackish to marine as adults.
Marine salt is what you use for them, just raise it slow.
It's normal for them to go on a hunger strike initially, just keep offering different foods and remove what they don't eat. In the meantime, get a snail tank going, you'll need it.

How slowly should I raise the salt? Should I use saltwater from my established reef or fresh made saltwater?

Like change out 1-2 gallons of fresh water for saltwater? What SG should am I going for? 1.015?

Thanks!

-TheChad

1.015 sounds good for them, I don't think I've ever found an exact salinity. Just high brackish should be the minimum.

I don't know about using water from an established saltwater tank. Someone else will have to answer that.
But basically you'll just add salt with your water changes. My phones about to die so I can't go into details right now but go slow, no more than .002 a week.

Post a picture of it I love puffers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom