Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarongalvan

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I set up a 10 gallon tank for a GSP and I'm pretty excited.
Is a 10 gallon okay for 1 puffer? I read online somewhere that they prefer at least 5-6 gallons per Puffer?

I have PFS as a substrate, some big rocks, some fake plants, and a filter that can turn the tank water at least 4 of 5 times per hour... I know they're messy eaters.

GPS need at least 15gal for one.
but 10gal with less decor will be fine.
keep them feed and they will be happy~ hahaha
they are not just messy eater, they r messy pooper too LOL

they will need to transfer to full marine for their health adulthood.
actually the earlier you get them to full marine, they better.
if the 10gal is only for the GPS, that will be easy, just slowly rasie the SG untill 1.021~1.023.
by slowly I mean really slow, like 0.002 every 2~3 weeks, the whole process should take u around 3~6months. and don't worry about the bacteria, they will convert to salt water if you raise at the speed that I suggested.

ask me any questions about green spotted, I should have enough experience to answer most of the questions.

gps need at least 15gal for one.
But 10gal with less decor will be fine.
Keep them feed and they will be happy~ hahaha
they are not just messy eater, they r messy pooper too lol

they will need to transfer to full marine for their health adulthood.
Actually the earlier you get them to full marine, they better.
If the 10gal is only for the gps, that will be easy, just slowly rasie the sg untill 1.021~1.023.
By slowly i mean really slow, like 0.002 every 2~3 weeks, the whole process should take u around 3~6months. And don't worry about the bacteria, they will convert to salt water if you raise at the speed that i suggested.

Ask me any questions about green spotted, i should have enough experience to answer most of the questions.

+1

I got him last night! I added 1 tblspn per gallon before I picked him up, I used the drip method to acclimate him to the new water.
He seems like a happy dude. I also found out that they actually lay down to sleep! Weird. I thought he was dead.

1 tablespoon of salt per gallon, just to get him started on the saltwater transition.

Does my water change method have to change when it comes to saltwater?

What are you feeding him? I have to go to the beach and get fiddler crabs, seems to be all mine likes. Of course its only four blocks, not a hassle.

I feed him freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried baby shrimp, brine shrimp, small snails... I've never tried fiddler crabs.
They have to be pretty small right?

GSP's need at least a 55 as they will get 6"+ and when they are an adult they will need a full saltwater setup.

As for food what you are feeding him looks fine. Just be sure to soak the freeze dried foods in water before you feed him as the air pockets in the food are not good for him.

i have one, but i am too scared to start a saltwater aquarium. i think im doomed. i just have this idea in my head that it is way too difficult to do saltwater aquariums. i need some help too... as of now, my puffer looks happy, i feed him krill, and flakes.

I would suggest skip the bloodworms, they like them, but IME, bloodworm make the water polluted really fast, and you will need to do water change more often.

and yes, they do lay down on the sand to sleep. mostly their black dots will turn white as well. XD

and listen to mudfrog, you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank when the GPS grow to about 5~6", but it won't happen in 3years or so, mine are still 2 inches something, and I have them for 2years already.

for water change, you just do the same, siphon water out and add your mixed water in. (remember you need to mix the salt water before you add into your aquarium.)
when u upgrade to a bigger tank let said 55gal, you will most likely want a protein skimmer, or even set up a sump if u r planning to get a bigger one and get some more fishes that can live with the GPS (need to be big enough so the GPS won't kill it)

i have one, but i am too scared to start a saltwater aquarium. i think im doomed. i just have this idea in my head that it is way too difficult to do saltwater aquariums. i need some help too... as of now, my puffer looks happy, i feed him krill, and flakes.

if you are not ready, then just keep them in brackish for now.
you will need to try get them to salt water no later then they get to 3~4"
(well, u can keep them in brackish forever, but they just do better in salt water XD)

SW tank isn't that hard to keep, for a small tank, u just need to get some salt and mix the water before you do water change.
but as GPS grow, you will need a bigger tank, then at that time you might want to get a protein skimmer.

oh and lucky your GPS eat flakes, mine just look at the flakes sink to the bottom and ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom