Green Spotted Puffer-constipated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clivingston99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am a newbie to the group. My green spotted puffer fish, Dave is 2 and half year old. Lives by himself in a 20 gallon long tank. His water parameters are as follows: salinity 1.010. Water temp 81:amonia 0 nitrite o and nitrates 0. Ph 8.2. Sand substrate. Double filtration. Airation. Diet : mainly pellets since freeze dried krill. W/c every 2 weeks.

I noticed 2 weeks ago. Stand off-ish behavior not eating. ( think I overfed and filter was full of gunk. Did 3 consecutive w/c. Finally enticed with bloodworms soaked in garlic. Devoured it. Then next night took some bites out of clam in a half shell. Then no appetite for a few days. Tried 2 Epsom salt baths ( 10 min) .currently trying low dosage of Epsom salth in tank (1/8 teaspoon = 5 gallons for 24-48 hours. After 2 days of north eating put in a ghost shrimp ( his first hunt). He devoured it !!.

He appears more hungry and aliitle more active. Soaking food in diluted Epsom salt solution. He ate a ghost shrimp yesterday ( his first hunt!). And one this morning .

He hasn't pooped for a week (at least). I'm worried about my baby. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Yours eats pellets?!? That's amazing.. post a pic. If hes eating than hes healthy.. healthy enough.. sick fish typically do not eat. A sick puffer will probably still eat a little?? Try frozen spirulina brine shrimp. Mine love it and it keeps everything moving to its final destination... anyways.. post a pic. Let's see how he looks.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/6V3HALd5JM8qmT7W6

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes , my Davey Baby love his pellets. They are by New Life Spectrum THERA+A large fish formula. Made from Krill and Algae. Nice and hard for his teeth. And easily digestible. They are sinking pellets with garlic. Guess that helps!!:fish2:

I hope my video went through (y)

Double check the water parameters of temp and salinity. Maybe pooped when you didn't notice. Ever try Brine shrimp live? Supposed to help pooping and most fish like chasing them down.

Hi,

I checked very thoroughly. He is a messy pooper. He poops like a dog. I found a long skinny leaf like pop today. It was like he passed a long leaf. I checked his plastic plant decor very carefully. I found the smaller plants with bite Mark's. I removed them. My reef store people suggest he is needing hard shell substance and recommend s I get some snails or clams. But worried he isnt ready for big meals. He appears more hungry today. Fed 2 small pellets and a small piece if freeze dried krill fir fiber and still using the Epsom salt treatment. Websites seem to suggest only feeding veggie based food such as peas. But I'm told by one pet store gsp dont eat veggies. But not understanding gsp are omnivores and will eat things like algae. I wonder if he was eating the plastic plant to get fiber instinctively. I read that gsp have a shorter digestive tract compared to herbivores who have longer ones and as a result can handle veggies. Can GPS handle peas. Any ideas? Thanks :fish2:

Hi again. I gave him some live ghost shrimp (3). This got him active and thought the bones would provide some fiber. But no luck. The clock is ticking on this little guy. I'm really worried :(

Good news he finally pooped !! Soooo happy !!!!!!! Thank you for your input and support!! ����������������

Good news. I had just heard today about the tank temperature affecting a Bettas a utility to poop. Also observe if any signs of internal parasites. Wild caught are frequently infested. Outbreakes can pop up from stress. Dont know about that one, but mentioning just in case. Also yes maybe some more harder foods. I don't have this fish's info in my keeping history. So maybe more members who keep them can get some better specifics.

Does he chomp up the shells of the half clams?

Hi -he chomps on half shells. I will keep an eye on parasites possibility. From now on I will not overfeed him and give him more shell type food. And try and sneak in some more fiber too. I also bought the Sachem magnesium ( fish Epsom salt ) to keep on hand and now know the correct dosage for my 15 gallon tank ( tablespoon and a half). Wow- I sound like a true fish person !!:fish2::fish2::fish2:

Like a fish parent.

After seeing a Puffer posted on CL, I've been starting to read and learn more about them and their care.

Do you have a pic of yours?

My Davey Baby pic

Proud mommy :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190316-120920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190316-120920_Gallery.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20190316-120640_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190316-120640_Gallery.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 62
Davey is so cute! TMaier has a cutie puffer too, I'gor, and a few more members keep them as well.

Adorable, they really seem to have a personality to enjoy!

Last edited:
Thank you.!!:fish2:. They really have neat personalities. Their eye sight is incredible. I come home and he can see me walk across the room and starts his excited wiggles dance. This is the coolest fish ever:cool::fish2:!! So worth the time and effort!!:fish2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom