Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Green spotted puffer setup

Iíve had my GSP in a 10 gal for over a yr. I now have a 29g tank to set up & I REALLY WANT TO DO IT UP RIGHT! Please help me with setup recommendations. What is the best canister filtration system? Do I need a UV sterilizer? Live plants? Lightning? What is best for my brackish puff?? And how long should it cycle once it is set up?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquatop makes canister filters with built in UV sterilizer. Fluval IMO is a great brand but you'd have to set up a seperate UV sterilizer. UV sterilizers are a good option if you think you will have a problem with Algea. You could also do an HOB or even two. Live low light plants with a decent LED light strip that is full spectrum would work. If you go this route I would get an all in one liquid fertilizer such as Thrive. Your cycle can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. Get yourself an API Master Test Kit to check your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates during the cycling process. If you are unsure on how to cycle we can help you out with it.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is he? I just setup 4 in a 40b. Not going to lie.. I didn't cycle the tank. It was a mature fw tank loaded with wood, I added a bunch of lace rock and bought 6 lbs. Of limestone from the tank they were in at the lfs (hoping it would seed the system). I matched the gravity to that of the lfs tank using reef salt I had for my reef tank. I let the tank run for a week and did a 50% wc. Repeat.. repeat... now it's on bi-weekly 50% wcs. I did dose stability every day for 2 weeks along with prime. I never tested anything, I'm guessing its cycled?? Puffs are doing very well. I wouldn't recommend this method if you have better options, like seeded brackish media. Was the 10 gal a brackish tank?

Tags
green, green spotted puffer, puffer, setup, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com