Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisb2011

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been suffering from green water in my 260 litre tank for some time now and I did a water change yesterday and have started a blackout tonight and will continue this until Monday night/Tuesday morning I was just wondering if anyone has had success with black outs as I notice my tank is clearer in the morning when I turn the lights on then when I turn them off at night

Yes, blackouts are a good way to help, but they aren't the cure. You have to find the reason behind your green water to solve the problem. How long do you keep the tank lit? What kind of lights do you have? Plants? Water change routine? How much do you feed? How often? What are your water parameters?

Hello there I believe the cause is a change of weather where I live meaning more sunlight on the tank as it's near a window I have bought a uv sterilizer today and done a 60% water change and have noticed a huge difference in my tank already the water is cleaning up well hopefully within the next few days should see further improvement :)

Sunlight will sure do that... I'll be if you cut back on feeding a little, that would help too. I've heard mixed reviews on the UV's, but if it seems to be working, then great.

Yes my water is crystal clear and my fish seem a lot happier now :) thanks for ur advice I am cutting down on feeding

Hello there I believe the cause is a change of weather where I live meaning more sunlight on the tank as it's near a window I have bought a uv sterilizer today and done a 60% water change and have noticed a huge difference in my tank already the water is cleaning up well hopefully within the next few days should see further improvement :)

What UV unit did you get? I'm looking into one myself.

BTW, here's a great link to algae, cause/cure.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

I believe it's called a vecton 2 I got the 600 litre option for my 260 litre aquarium was £70 and the photos are from one night of use :) fantastic results

Attachments

• image-3901335580.jpg
    image-3901335580.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1383363909.jpg
    image-1383363909.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom