green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ja2852

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am pretty sure I have a alage bloom or bacterial bloom (i dont know the differece between the two) but i cant seem to get rid of it. Is there anyway that the bio wheels can be the cause of this. I have dont pwc several times and the water will get a little clearer but not all the way clear. It has been this way for about 2 months now. please help

I've found that a three day blackout (cover tank completely, turn off lights, don't feed fish, run extra aeration if you've got it) works pretty well for killing off GW algae blooms. Your fish will be fine for three days without food and will be extremely happy to see you again when you take the covers off :)

I used tetra easy balance. It balances up water and it cleared mine up between 1-2 weeks

I have used dried barley straw in ponds before. As it decomposes, it releases certain compounds into the water which inhibit the grown of algae. Since it is not an algaecide, it will not kill existing algae, but will prevent its growth, allowing the algae to die off.

I have found at least one research article that appears to say that the effectiveness of dried barley straw is all in my head http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0012.html

Of all the weird stuff I have in my head, this one actually seems to work for me.

You mentioned pwcs, but how often do you vacuum the gravel? The algae growth is being encouraged by something, usually excess nutrients. PWCs will not remove the excess nutrients without using the gravel vac. Also, how often do you clean/replace the filter media. If the media is left in there too long, it can feed the algae.

Finally, how long od you keep the lights on?

I am pretty sure I have a alage bloom or bacterial bloom (i dont know the differece between the two)

Sorry, I forgot to address this. A bacterial bloom results in a hazy, grayish cloudy tank. This is usually the result of the natural cycling process, or the water reacting to either a reduction in beneficial bacteria or an increase in the biological load of the tank.

Green water is an algae bloom.

HTH

Another common factor in GW blooms is direct sunlight, so eliminating that, plus PWC's (10-15%) every few days for a week or so might help. A friend of mine solved his this way. Mine proved more recalcitrant, and a 4-day blackout worked but it came right back, and I finally got tired of it and slapped on a UV filter. Bye bye greenwater.

I have not tried barley straw and am intrigued - will this decomposing organic lower pH?

Back
Top Bottom