green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysky25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a ten gal tank. my daughter dropped a whole can of food in it two weeks ago. i cleaned most of it out and did a 5 gal water change but my water is getting very green. what is the cause and solution. before the food was dropped in the water was crystal clear
please help

thank you

Welcome to AA!!!

The food rotting probably caused an ammonia spike which mixed with light caused the GW.

The first thing I would try is blacking out the tank. Completely cover the tank so no light can get through. Add an airstone if you dont have one already. Leave it covered for at least 3 days. No peaking, no feeding, no nothing.

Good luck.

rich311k said:
Welcome to AA!!!

The food rotting probably caused an ammonia spike which mixed with light caused the GW.

The first thing I would try is blacking out the tank. Completely cover the tank so no light can get through. Add an airstone if you dont have one already. Leave it covered for at least 3 days. No peaking, no feeding, no nothing.

Good luck.
i will try it. i had my water checked and everything is right on. he said my water is perfect except that it is green. i was guessing that it is an algae problem also

rich311k said:
Green water is algae. Good luck with the black out.l
what could be causing this. once i get it clear again what is a good preventative for this

It was caused by an ammonia spike caused my the rotting food. The free ammonia is all the nutrients green water needs to explode. I have done it several times just by stirring up the sunstrate in my tank and not doing an immediate water change. My tank is high light so it doesn't take much to get it going, in your case I am sure all that food caused a major ammonia spike.

Once it is gone, limit your lighting to 8 hours a day and keep the tank out of direct sunlight and it should not reoccur.

Also, you might consider a few additional 10-25% water changes in the evening after sunset, with as little light as possible.

Algae spores are alays present. Additional nutrients and light combine to give the algae all it needs to grow.

Also, you may want to invest in a master freshwater test kit. Many of us here use this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...l&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004+113074

It will help to avoid future problems, quickly diagnose other issues, and keep your tank and fish at their healthiest.

Back
Top Bottom