Green Water and Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aremihc

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have a mild green water outbreak, and a pleco living in the tank. I've noticed a LOT more rope-like waste recently. While I know a pleco won't clean up green water, I was wondering if they DO get sustenance from it? Enought to increase their waste significantly?

Thanks

The green water is most likely caused by a high level of nitrates. How many fish are in the tank and how big is the tank? I don't think the plecos will get anything from the algae in the water.

Actually Green Water is also often caused by an Ammonia spike. If the fish waste has increased significantly lately there my have been a small spike in ammonia which resulted in the Green Water. Green Water is good in the fact that it generally solves the problem which originally causes it, but annoying in that it can be hard to get rid of.

As far as the pleco's increased waste. Could be that it's grown enough that the waste is just more noticable or perhaps one of your fish died withour your noticing and the pleco performed extra clean up duties.

Back
Top Bottom