Green water yet no PO4???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sly_Fra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

just back from 9 days vacation, my water is green, yet my PO4 readings are at 0.

NH3 = 0, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0
Temp at 78F (26C)

Aquarium in s a 33 Gal well planted, 2 Pearl gouramis, 2 honey, 2 female betta, 10 Neon tetra and a bunch of yamato shrimps.

About 10 hours of light per day (timer), 110W, 1 hour of morning sunlight at angle (rising sun)

Ideas...?

It's probably the sun. And also it's BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD to let any of your macro parameters to fall to 0. That's begging for algae. I suggest you reduce your lighting and start dosing NPK. The cause of your green water isn't the presence of PO4 but the lack of it and Nitrogen in a well lit system.

Also,you may need co2 set up; what is the volume of the tank?

A small dose of erythromycin will help clear your green water up or willow branches: Fighting green water. Simple cheap method. - Algae - Aquatic Plant Central

I just happen to have a willow (weaping willow that is) in my backyard.

Guess where I'm going next...?

I do have a DIY CO2, tank is a 33 gal.

Do I let the branches float or I force them down? DO I need to combine this with a black out (not sure he riccia will like that!)

I'll get some NPK tomorrow.

Just stick them and try to keep the bottom, cut portion submerged. I wouldn't combine it with a black out. It's not worth losing your plants over a little nuisance green water.

Any product you would particularly recommend for increasing NPK? NutraFin Plant Gro NPK for example?

OK got myself NPK source. Should I start the fert now or wait until it clears up (I guess if I fert now, algea and willow will absorb all the I add no?)

I reduced light from 11 to 10 hours, and I blocked the direct sunlight from the lateral side most exposed (and less visible to viewers from the couch), that should stop more than 50% of little sunlight there is.

Back
Top Bottom