Growing algae for algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HicksFam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a handful of otocinclus, a snowball pleco, and a twig catfish. I’d like to grow some algae for them on a rock in a separate tank and then put it in their tank for them to eat. Is this a good idea, and if so any advice? I think I saw that you can put a rock in water with liquid plant food and set it in sunlight. Should I use a certain kind of rock? Or perhaps driftwood?

I would recommend lava rock!
I used some, in a jar with A TINY bit of fertilizer, set it in sunlight and there was definitely algae... but most grew on the jar at the water line...
But I definitely noticed my shrimp will pick at those specific lava rocks more than the others. I may not have left it in window sill long enough tho.. But once I got a thick green ring around the water line, I scraped it off the glass into the jar and dumped the little jar into my smaller tank. . Never got algae in the tank or anywhere else and didnt really notice much change, honestly...
But, I think there are alot of variables and it's totally worth a shot! I mean... what do you have to lose?! Nothing!! Lol. Atleast, that's how I felt! And I've noticed of my snail jars I leave in the window, they grow green hair algae, where Noooo Other tanks have ANY!
so I think sunlight is key!!
Good luck!!! :)
And keep me updated if you find a way that works really well!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom