GSPs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, a friend of mine is digging out his old 55 gallon. He is wanting to put in a green spotted puffer. So I was gonna ask some quistions of yall on advice.

Later in life, it will require a full marine enviroment if I understand? Which will mean live sand and all, is there any type of live sand for brackish tanks, or could he get live sand for a salt tank and keep it alive in brackish conditions?

Is there a chart or something on how often he should increase it from brackish to salt water? or could he actually start workin it towards full salt a few weeks after getting it?

Secondly, how many GSPs can go into a 55 gallon? Just one? or could you put in 2 or 3? Are there any tankmates for them, including when they get to full salt for a 55 gallon tank, including additional puffers?

1They are brackish and should be started this way and maintained.

2You do not need live sand: see below

3 Brackish , PH should be high around 8, aragonite sand to help PH

4 general rule is 30 gal per fish. They can grow up to 6"

They should be kept alone. When they mature they will not want another puffer. May be able to put larger brackish fish of another species.

IMO, I would go for Dwarf Puffers which are fresh and can keep more than 1. Do some research on puffers. GSP may not be the best choice for a new puffer owner.

well, this isnt for me, and he is wanting a larger one. I have kept DPs before, and he has seen them. He wants something larger though. He is ok with only having that one fish in there though. I will let him know on the sand to get.

Back
Top Bottom