Guorami and Platy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spocker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks, my blue gourami died today in my 20 g tank. I moved my honey gourami from a 10 into the 20 with 8 mickey platy's He is now chasing the platy's around the tank and they are pretty much staying to one side. He been kind of a bully since i got him so i also had to take the dwarf gourami out of the 20 and put him in the ten. I guess the question is will the bullying work itself out? Thanks!

I'm kinda confused, lol.

So you had 3 gouramis? 1. The blue one that died 2. The honey gourami that is a bully and 3. dwarf gourami?

Or is the honey gourami a dwarf gourami?

Sometimes re-arranging the tank can curb the behavior, but since it was the gourami that was newly added to the tank and not the platties, I'm not sure this would have the same effect, but you could try it. A territorial fish usually doesn't really change. I wouldn't expect it to work itself out. It's possible there could be a bit of chasing for a day or two that may calm down, but if it's going on longer then that or if there's nipping going on they probably need seperated. Often dwarf gouramis just wont tolerate certain types of fish, so this isn't unusual.

Thanks. There is 2 left the joney and the dwarf. the dwarf is in a 10 g with 5 danios and seems to be fine. the honey is the one i moved to the 20g he got along fine with the danios, but seems to have a problem with the platties.

A 10 gal or even a 20H doesn't provide enough horizontal swimming space for danios. I would move them into your 20g. If it's a 20L it's great for them, if it's a 20H it's still better than the 10. Then maybe swap the dwarf and honey. You could try something like a school of neon tetras with it, or even just give it the tank to itself.

Back
Top Bottom