Guppie not eating/Clear stringy Feces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmhoskins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a guppie that won't eat anything but brine shrimp and he has been having clear stringy feces which I read is constipation. Definitely not a parasite since the feces is like a long clear string not white and definitely not moving. I have been giving them peas and tropical flake food and he swims near the food but doesn't eat.

Any Advice?

how could my fish have a parasite when they have been in the same tank for 2 months solid and they are from a fish store. The vets I have talked to say unless they were exposed to a wild caught fish its most likely not a parasite and the only reason most stores tell you that is to sell you the fish treatment which I probably don't need. Sounds more like constipation because he isn't eating. I am thinking he just doesn't like flake food, but he used to eat it so I am not sure. I have other fish in the tank and they are all fine. They have all been together for awhile. This just started.

The fish store gets them from somewhere and you have no idea what conditions are like and what other fish they are exposed to there and where those fish came from. Could also come in live/frozen food if you’ve ever fed things like that.

I had a couple glow tetras whom I thought were just smaller than the rest and I didn’t realize until I had them over a month that they had some kind of internal parasite which was keeping them skinny. One treatment of pratzi-pro and the stringy poop went away and they began gaining weight / growing normally again.

Maybe you’re right but if the stringy poop continues despite treating for constipation, it’s just something to consider.

(Also I think it’s highly unlikely your guppy just doesn’t like flake food. I’ve never seen a guppy who wasn’t a voracious eater of just about any kind of food you put in the tank)

Back
Top Bottom