Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank for about a week now. I put in 2 male guppies and 4 female guppies. They are all eating and swimming around happily it seems. I woke up one morning and saw a baby fry being chased about... the more it moved the more it was chased. It disappeared soon after. Anyways, one of the males in the past two days just hides behind a plant near the bottom or sometimes just hovers near the surface. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on what is wrong with him??? When it is time to eat he will swim to the surface to get his share. The other fish are so much more energetic. He seems depressed. I have done two 25% water changes and one gravel vacuuming since i got the tank. Also, what's a good water test kit to get? Lastly, what other types of fish can I include in the tank?

Well, first you need to read about the nitrogen cycle, if you dont already know what it is, here's an article from this website - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Guppies are livebearers and frequently have fry. However, they usually eat all the fry up very quickly. If you want any to survive, you either need to seperate them, or have hiding places.

There are many fish you could get, so I'll just tell you what to avoid. Avoid most cichlids, save for angelfish and some of the dwarf cichlids, and tiger barbs. Also avoid bettas, and any fish that is big enough to fit a guppy in his mouth. I highly reccomend a school of corys for every community tank, they are peaceful fish and full of personality and energy, and they dont grow longer than an inch or two.

Back
Top Bottom